Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blood, Sweat, & Raspberries!

I am having a busy busy time flying solo at the Whitney house. Devon & David left for Wyoming (Camp Loll Boy Scout Camp) on Monday morning at five a.m.

For the past three days, I have been up to my eyeballs in sewing. Hence the "blood" and "sweat"... not mention "tears". I am definately cutting challenged. Probably because I have a ridiculously small cutting board for fabric (only 18 inches) and am forced to fold my material a hundred times to get a straight edge.


Unfortunately, my missing visual/spatial genes enable me to become thoroughly confused in my folds and I end up with lots of little pieces. Ai Yi Yi. It's like paper dolls gone wrong.

So now, my prayer shawl has become a prayer scarf. On top of that, I have been doing so much ironing and pinning, trying to make straight seams. (This where the "blood" comes in.) At this point, I had to just go with a slightly crooked seam ... otherwise, I would be in danger of wearing a "prayer tie" at Joshua's Bar Mitzvah.

I think my choice of material ended up being a poor one. As I was sewing, the fabric kept puckering. I have been ironing like mad, trying to get it to lay flat. The purple I chose, is worse than the white. It keep getting sucked into my machine. Felt like I was battling some sea creature as I tried to sew it.

Yes... I am not a happy camper. I also worked at doing some Hebrew embroidery. While I was really proud of myself, typing up the words and transferring them to the material, I had a very difficult time doing the embroidery part. Despite my diligence, my needle work looks like that of a pre-K student... not a college grad. I am debating on whether to keep it... or chuck it.

Then on top of all of this, Devon instructed me to collect the raspberries off our front bushes ASAP. They were almost over-ripe, so I had to act fast. Oh my goodness, hours later, I was still picking berries. It was crazy. Then came the fun job of washing and freezign them all. That took about a half a day. While I should probably contemplate making jam, my back is cringing at the thought. I think we'll just keep the berries in the freezer and throw them on ice cream.