Friday, June 27, 2008

Trouble with Roses

Help! Help! My roses are not doing well at all. Purple in Providence is perplexed on what to do about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If you click on the photos.... they will be shown "full screen" (better for close up viewing).

Rosebush number #1 seems to be dying and I'm not sure what I've done. This is the small rosebush I bought and planted in the late spring. It is a Double Delight Rose. The bush has four stalks. One is green and healthy (far left in the photo) with little leaves budding. However, the other three stalks have recently turned dark brown/black and the leaves have all curled up & dryed out (or even worse... dropped off).






UPDATE: I couldn't find any information on this in my books.


Rosebush number #2 seems to be having some "visitor" munching on it. The bite marks are all the same (weird little circular shapes). I am not seeing any bugs on the rose anywhere. So I am puzzled about what could be doing this. There are also still no buds, but there is lots and lots of new stalks/leaves.









UPDATE: I did look this up in my new Rose book (thanks Sandy) and I'm thinking this might be due to "Leafcutter Bees"? If that's the case, looks like there won't be much I can do.