Monday, July 21, 2008

The Impatient Gardener


Okay, I am starting to feel a little discouraged. And, I am thinking about changing my name to "Blue in Providence". Sigh.
My flower garden in the back yard isn't doing too well. The plants that I bought from Lowes, a few weeks back, have been pooping out. Some have died or are in the process of dying... like all their flowers have fallen off. And the rest are just hanging in there... with no growth at all. Even the impatiens that I put in back in early June, have not grown an inch.
In addition, NONE of the flowers that I planted (from seed) have any "flowers" at all. For some odd reason, they are just remaining as ever-growing stalks!
Here's my supposed cosmos... looking like some sort of weird tropical rainforest for Coco to hack her way through. The cosmos we bought at the store (to put around the squash plants in the veggie garden), are much shorter, and have tons of flowers. So what's the deal?


Here's my supposed marigolds and nasturtiums. Again, no flowers. Nothing but stalks and leaves.
I don't know if these plants are just not getting enough sun (due to my neighbours huge maple trees), they are all just being stubborn, or if I've simply got a black thumb!
In contrast to my back yard, the front yard is coming along quite nicely. Although, I think that my decision to stick with just one plant (petunias) is at the root of my sucess.
My roses are still hanging in there too, but I'm not sure if the new ones I planted this summer like it here enough to make this their permanent home. I think we're still in that "wait and see" period. Guess I better keep talking nicely to them.
The middle rosebush (tall one in the center), is still refusing to put forth any blooms. What's up with that? Devon says that as long as it continues to stay green, it adds some color to the yard, so we're should let it stay.