Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Starting Over


Okay... after my disappointment with the results from our all-day weeding session (i.e. an almost empty garden), I decided to go out and buy some flowers. Even though I felt like a complete failure doing this, I would really like to look at something other than dirt! So I hopped in the car and set out for Lowes.

I tried to shop wisely and keep my purchases to no more than $5.00 a plant. I also tried to buy as many Perrenials as possible, with the hope that they will come back on their own next year. Unless, I somehow manage to kill them too.

HERE IS A LIST OF WHAT I BOUGHT - I tried to buy at least 2 of everything:

Campanuala - Takion Blue Peachleafed Bellflower (x2)

Aurora Lavender Delphinum (x2)

Camelot Foxglove (x2)

Hosta "Patriot" - Plantain Lily (x2)

Zinnia - Yellow (x2)

Salvia - Red (x2)

Salvia - Victoria Blue (x6)

Vinca - Melon (x9)
Joshua helped me decide where to lay everything out... so if it looks bad, we can blame him (big grin). We are all in agreement that the garden looks better already.
While deciding upon our layout, we tried to plant around the few flowers that are still trying to make their way up through the ground. That way, if they do survive, we can at see them.
From what I can tell, the only plants from seed -- that still stand a chance are the following:
- Johnny Jumpups (i.e. Poppies)
- Cosmos
- Dianthus
We decided to set out some stepping stones (that we found in the front yard) in front of the raspberry plants. Even though the raspberry plants we transplanted are only 4 inches high, if they end up growing as big as our other raspberry plants, we will need that space to get back there to pick the berries.
Meanwhile, we have now removed ALL the weeds from the vegetable garden, so we are virtually weed-free. I expect that to last about one day! We have also noticed that a few of our veggies have been chewed. We began speculating that mayve we have rabbits visiting in the middle of the night, but just then, we spied Coco (our weiner dog) nibbling on some corn stalks. I thought dogs were carnivores? Guess not.