Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 6: London... the journey continues

"
"We Will Rock You" - Queen Musical
Looks like the group had a full day planned for Tuesday.  They headed out the door in the wee small hours of the morning and didn't get back to the hostel until after midnight!  They must be ready to drop.  Guess they are all going on adrenalin.

Here were the plans for their second day in London:  a trip to Westminster Abbey, boat cruise on the Thames, visit to the Tower of London (more dungeons!), and then an evening at the theatre. The plans to the theatre include taking in the popular musical - "We Will Rock You".  Similar to ABBA's Mama Mia, this play is  a musical, based on the songs of Queen and named after their hit single of the same name.  If you like the music of Queen... no doubt you will enjoy the play.  Although Joshua is not necessarily a Queen fan, he was happy that they were not going to see "Wicked" again, which he wasn't fond of.

Reports from the leaders:

Randy:
Good morning from London! Today' schedule includes Westminster Abbey, the Thames, the Tower of London, and the Theater. A full schedule. We're having trouble uploading pictures, so that'll have to wait until we get back to Ashford (sorry).
Jason:
What an "amazing" day!!! I saw THE Crown Jewels fo' real. You should see the diamonds and gold. You could take a bath in the Grand Punch Bowl and anoint yourself with a 12th century spoon. It was an interesting observation I had while looking at these artifacts that the building I was in was over 900 years old itself. I saw the graves of some of the worlds most influential people and I stood in the courtyard where Anne Boyelyn was relieved of her head. I walked on the steps that the kings and queens of England have tread. It's really quite overwhelming the sights we've seen. I really recommend the Big Bus Tour, it lets you see the magnificent and powerful architecture of one of the worlds greatest cities, London, England!!
Tom:
What an amazing day, I know I use that word a lot but honestly, it best explains the day. We are "cream crackered" kinda tired. We have in one day, hike the Thames, visited Westminster Abbey, Traveled the the Big Bus, Boated on the Thames, toured Tower of London, road the underground, went to the Theater and had a ruckus time at we will rock you, during which I embarrassed Matthew incredibly. We had a great English Breakfast, solid packed lunch, and decent subway dinner, with ice cream at burger king. Oh yeah on the way home we went to Trafalgar Square. All in all a great day! I remain so expressed with these boys everyone did great!
Great day in London today! No rain, blue sky's with some sun, oh yes the British would like me to promote the sun factor! Traffic has gotten busier. I loved Westminster Abbey today, lit a candle and participated in prayers. We had a great morning walk along the Thames pathway with great views of the city! I can't escape this days recount without saying I loved the theatre performance of "we will rock you"! I may have, embarrassed Matthew a bit, but I'm totally good with that! So much done today, I remain so amazingly impressed with all these boys! God love them, cause I sure do! They show respect, decorum, and lightheartedness. One or two little things but all in all these boys are just wonderful...again so proud of them.

Mark (UK Leader):
I have been reading the posts on here and would just like to add that all parents and family of these young people should be extremely proud. We covered a lot of miles, visited lots of places and none of us has got enough sleep, yet I have not heard one moan or cross word from any of our visitors.
I have left them on their merry way to Dover (work calling for me) and will meet up with them later. I hope they are enjoying the experience as much as my son did when he visited you 2 years ago.
This is my first involvement in the exchange program and seeing it first hand makes you see how successful it is. Hopefully long to continue.
Well done scouts, you will have an easier day on your feet tomorrow.
Walking the streets of London
Nelson's Lions at Trafalgar Square - on the way back from the theatre