Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 1: Leaving on a Jet Plane

David & Joshua at FPC in Logan, UT.
They're leaving on a jet plane!  Today marks day one of the UK International Scout Exchange, so this morning I dropped both my boys off at First Presbyterian Church in Logan, UT - for departure to the Salt Lake City airport. The group all looked spiffy in their Class A Uniforms.

The first flight leaves Salt Lake City at 1:00 pm for Houston, TX.  Then at 6:15 pm, they board the next flight to London.  Expected arrival time is 9:40 am at Heathrow airport.  The group will be met by the UK scout leaders, who will be arriving with mini-vans.

Next up the group will drive to Ashford, Kent, where the group will meet their host families.  I have already made contact with the Ball family (hosting David) and the Wright family (hosting Joshua).  I love these folks already.  They are so excited about hosting the kids.  I feel very confident that they will take great care of my boys.  Even though both my sons tower me in height... they are still my babies.

House seems very quiet with them both gone.  It was a huge leap of faith dropping off my boys today.  Sending one (Joshua) three years ago was hard - sending two was even harder.  Three weeks in England and France is a long time and long way from home.  I am sure I will not relax until they are back home - safe and sound.

With all the preparations for the upcoming Summer Olympics, London is going to be one happening city.  The sporting events have attracted extra visitors and the security is incredible.  I think the UK will be spending more money on security than they will make on tourism!  So, I sat both my boys down last night and told them to be prepared for anything!  I also gave them directions to the US Embassy in both London and Paris ... just in case.  They think I am being totally paranoid... but I think I'm just being a protective mom.

This time there will be no blog documenting the groups adventures.  Instead, we are all (US & UK families) are using a group Facebook page to communicate.  Which is why I decided to dust off my blog and keep track of the journey myself.  If I do that, I think it will end up being a better keepsake for my boys for years to come.

   
Rat Patrol!  Cameron, Joshua, & Ryan.  Hoping the three patrol buddies will watch out for each other.

David looking dapper in his red beret.

Three scout leaders.  These are the men that will be taking care of my kids for the next three weeks.

Entire group - 11 scouts & 3 leaders.